Motorcycle riders from around the nation, and even around the world will rally in Washington, D.C. this Memorial Day Weekend for the Rolling Thunder Run, an annual demonstration to bring awareness and accountability for prisoners of war and service members left behind after the Vietnam War. As the official corporate sponsor of the Rolling Thunder Run for the third consecutive year, Humana Inc. has partnered with the Vietnam War Commemoration to honor veterans via several activities throughout the weekend.
On Saturday, May 25 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Humana will properly acknowledge the service and sacrifices of Vietnam Veterans with lapel pins, a lasting memento of the nation's thanks for their service. Humana will also kick-off a community-wide food drive with Feeding America. As part of their Bold Goal initiative to make communities 20 percent healthier by 2020, Humana is committed to addressing food insecurity. Research shows that one in eight Americans are food insecure and 20 percent of households supported by Feeding America have a member who is a veteran or has served in the U.S. military.
You can be a part of this cause by donating non-perishables to a number of locations in Virginia and Washington D.C. The locations listed below are accepting donations now through July 8th:
- Humana Richmond Office: 4191 Innslake Dr Ste. 100, Glen Allen, VA 23060
- Humana Roanoke Office: 3800 Electric Rd. Ste. 406 Roanoke, VA 24018
- Humana Norfolk Office: 5802 E Virginia Beach Blvd, Suite 120 Norfolk, VA 23502
- Mechanicsville VFW Post 9808: 7168 Flag Ln Mechanisville VA 23111
- JenCare - Newport News: 48 NewMarket SQ Newport News, VA 23605
- JenCare-Portsmouth: 4106 Portsmouth Blvd Portsmouth, VA 23701
- JenCare - Virginia Beach: 5516 E. Virginia Beach Blvd Virginia Beach, VA 23462
- JenCare - Norfolk: 549 E Brambleton Ave Norfolk, VA 23510
- James City County Parks and Rec Center: 5301 Longhill Rd Williamsburg, VA 23188
- Crunch: 3270 Electric Rd Roanoke, VA 24018
- YMCA: 3 Staling Ave Martinsville, VA 24112
- Lynchburg Public Library: 2315 Memorial Ave Lynchburg, VA 24501
- Darby House: 1400 Shirleydale Ave Richmond, VA 23231
- Highland View Academy: 10100 Academy Dr. Hagerstown, MD 21740
- Frederick Adventist Academy: 6437 Jefferson Pike Frederick, MD 21703
Donations of non-perishable food will also be accepted at the Humana tent on Thunder Alley on 22nd St. and Constitution Ave. NW during Rolling Thunder.
Rolling Thunder began as a motorcycle rally to call for recognition and protection of service members that were abandoned after the Vietnam War. There are still 1,589 Vietnam Veterans unaccounted for, including prisoners of war and those missing in action. Rolling Thunder has since evolved into a display of patriotism and respect for all who defend our country. It is now the largest gathering of military retirees, veterans, active duty military and Vietnam Veterans.
If you or a loved one is a Vietnam Veteran interested in learning more about Rolling Thunder, visit www.rollingthunderrun.com and stop by the Humana tent for more information on its health initiatives for veterans.