WASHINGTON (Sinclair Broadcast Group)- The State Department issued a travel alert Monday for Americans living and traveling to Europe this summer.
The alert said “recent, widely-reported incidents in France, Russia, Sweden, and the United Kingdom demonstrate that the Islamic State of Iraq and ash-Sham (ISIS or Da’esh), al-Qa’ida, and their affiliates have the ability to plan and execute terrorist attacks in Europe.”
This warning was issued by U.S. officials after a terror plot was foiled Friday in London. Officials announced counter terrorism police stormed a home in the Northwest section of the city and disrupted an active terror plot. A 21-year-old woman that was shot during the raid and six others, were arrested in connection to the incident.
A day earlier near Parliament, London police arrested a man that they said was carrying a bag of knives near the government building. A European security official said that the suspect “was known to British security agencies” and “inspired by the Islamic State group,” according to The Associated Press.
According to England’s counterterrorism police, 13 potential attacks have been stopped in the last four years.
Earlier in April, an armed gunman opened fire near the Champs-Elysees in Paris, killing a police officer. French security forces discovered a note that fell from the pocket of 39-year-old assailant, Karim Cheurfi, praising the Islamic State group.
Just last week in the Washington D.C. area, officials created a full-scale terror attack drill, to insure local first responders are prepared for a coordinated targeted attack on multiple locations.
The State Department urges citizens to check the website for the latest messages posted by U.S. Embassies in the country of their travel. The department also asks citizens to remain vigilant at large high profile events, airports, hotels, clubs, restaurants and places of worship.
The travel alert will expire on Sept. 1.