MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Smoke detector saves family from Md. house fire, officials report

Smoke detector saves family from Md. house fire, officials report. (ABC7 photo)

A smoke alarm alerted a family to a fire in Upper Marlboro early Monday morning just in time for them to escape without injury, according to Mark Brady, a spokesperson for Prince George's Fire Department.

Officials report, a husband and wife, their daughter, and a dog escaped the fire in the 2700 block of Largo Road around 3:30 a.m.

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS FROM SCENE

"We were asleep and my parents told me to get out of the house, the fire alarm went off, we don't know what happened. We think it was something outside, but we're still waiting to find out," the daughter said.

The homeowners tell ABC7's John Gonzalez they believe the fire started in the area of the front porch.

Firefighters report facing challenges fighting the fire as the closest fire hydrant was half a mile away.

The fire appears accidental, according to authorities. The home was a total loss.

This is a developing story.




close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending