The day is here! D.C. braces for Blizzard 2016
WASHINGTON (ABC7) —
Blizzard 2016, the storm we've been monitoring since last weekend, is upon us. The low is strengthening over the deep south and will be intensifying, as it moves our way. Heavy snow, combined with strong winds, will lead to blowing and drifting snow, white out conditions, and power outages.
Follow the StormWatch7 weather team, the largest in town, throughout the storm. Download our StormWatch7 weather app to get the latest winter alerts and sign up for our StormWatch7 text alerts by going to www.wjla.com/text. And don't forget to send us your pictures! Email them to email@example.com and post them to our ABC7News Facebook page!
Snow will overspread the region early this afternoon from SW to NE. With the deepening area of low pressure spinning off the coast, expect heavy snow and strong winds to persist through Saturday night. Heads up to our friends along the coast. Onshore winds upwards of 40 mph will cause coastal flooding risks to areas along the Chesapeake Bay and Tidal Potomac. To make matters worse, there is a full moon Sunday night further enhancing the high tide cycles.
Maybe we have the full moon to blame for the #Blizzard? Just kidding.
Stay off the roads and stay safe. ABC7 is ON YOUR SIDE.
- Snow developing through the early afternoon southwest of town and between 3-5pm in the D.C. metro
- Heavy snow & strong winds Friday night through Saturday night (blizzard conditions)
- Wind gusts to 45+ mph = blowing & drifting snow, white conditions, down trees powerlines = power outages
- Snow over by sunrise Sunday, but still breezy
- Accumulations highest over the Shenandoah Valley & Blue Ridge (18-24"+), greater Washington area (12-22+), southern MD (6-12"+)
TODAY: Cloudy with snow developing from the southwest starting early this afternoon.
Highs: Around freezing
Winds: NE 5-15 mph
TONIGHT: Blizzard conditions. Heavy snow and strong winds. Accumulations 1-3" per hour, at times.
Lows: Mid to upper 20s
Winds: NE 20-30 G 45+
SATURDAY: Blizzard conditions. Heavy snow and strong winds. Some mix, mainly extreme southern MD.
Highs: Low 30s
Winds: NE -> N 20-25 G 40 mph