DICKERSON, Md. (7News) — A Montgomery County, Md. homeowner got more than they bargained for after attempting to smoke out some unwanted pests from their home.
According to county fire investigators, the homeowner attempted to use smoke to control a snake infestation on Nov. 23, but the coals — used as a heat source — got too close to combustible materials, and the Dickerson home went up in flames.
The fire started in the basement of the home, located in the 21000 block of Big Woods Road, and spread through the walls and floors.
Seventy-five firefighters from the area responded to battle the blaze around 10 p.m. When they arrived, the multi-story home was showing heavy flame and the structure and roof collapsed. There was not a hydrant in the area, MCFRS spokesman Pete Piringer said.
The damage is estimated at more than $1 million. According to public records, the homeowner bought the home for $1.8 million.
Nobody was hurt in the blaze and the status of the snakes remains a mystery. The fire was deemed accidental.