Georgetown Halloween shooting victim dies

Tyronn Vincent Garner died after the Georgetown Halloween shooting. He's seen here with his sister. (Photo courtesy of Garner's family)

The 17-year-old who was shot and killed on Halloween night in Georgetown was supposed to be in a drug rehab facility at the time of the slaying but was prevented from boarding the bus to take him, his family says.

The shooting occurred in the 2800 block of M Street NW just before 11 p.m. on Halloween night.

The victim was identified as 17-year-old Tyronn Vincent Garner. He had reportedly been on life support up through this weekend.

“My grandson would have been alive today,” said Jane Garner. Garner’s family is no stranger to violence: An older brother was shot and killed five years ago.

The family says Garner was supposed to be in a drug rehab center in Pennsylvania. A few weeks before his murder, a D.C. judge ordered Garner transferred from the city-run New Beginnings group home to the Pennsylvania clinic.

“He said ‘Ma, I wanted to go but the bus didn't take me,’ he said they left without him,” his grandmother said.

Garner's family says they don't know why he didn't make it on the bus. A few days later, the judge ordered him to appear in court on Nov. 4th. On Halloween night, Garner was out with friends in Georgetown when he was killed.

“Just a night of fun can turn into a nightmare,” said Altheia Beynum, his cousin. “To me and the whole family it's like déjà vu all over again.”

Witnesses told ABC7 News that two groups of teens started fighting near the corner of 28th and N streets Northwest in the midst of Halloween celebrations. A witness then says three shots rang out and people scattered.

In July 2006 Tyronn's brother Ronnie was shot in the head while sitting in a car in southeast. He, too, was 17 at the time was killed.

A month later, Ronnie's girlfriend Cindy Grey was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting in front of this apartment complex on Benning Road.

Police say that earlier shooting was related to Ronnie Garner’s homicide. Grey was holding a baby at the time and before being shot was able to save the child by throwing it under a nearby car.


close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off