Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes ofwebsite accessibilityProper firework disposal could have prevented this McLean family's house fire | WJLA
Close Alert

Proper firework disposal could have prevented this McLean family's house fire

Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon
Comment bubble

The garage of a McLean home caught fire on Wednesday night due to firework sparklers that were improperly disposed of.

At 9:30 p.m., firefighters responded to the 7400 block of Georgetown Court in the McLean area of Fairfax County for reports of a possible house fire.

When first responders arrived, the two-story single family home was showing smoke from the garage.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue firefighters were able to quickly control the fire. One firefighter sustained a minor injury and was transported for a check-up.

A family of seven was home at the time of the fire and safely evacuated before firefighters arrived.

Fire officials investigated the cause of the fire and determined it was caused by the disposal of recently used firework sparklers into the trash.

The residents were able to re-occupy the home, and total damages of the property are estimated at $11,000.

Comment bubble

Officials want to remind families to dispose of fireworks properly by placing them into a metal container, dousing with water, placing a metal lid on top and placing the container away from the house.

Loading ...