MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

EMT saves PG Co. police officer friend from carbon monoxide poisoning

(Photo, ABC7)

"Thank you to my friend, Phil."

Friends since they were 7 years old, volunteer EMT Phil Martin could never imagine saving Officer Ricardo Biddy's life.

"To say that your best friend came to your aid, saved your life, it's remarkable," says Biddy.

It was March 3 as both men finished up a shift as volunteer EMTs in Seat Pleasant.

Officer Biddy drove home in his police cruiser and then sat in his driveway, talking to Martin.

"I noticed that he started to mumble about subjects, stuff that I was unfamiliar with, and then he went silent," says Martin.

Martin knew to track down his friend so he drove to his house and found his car, a 2013 Ford Interceptor.

"I found him unresponsive in his cruiser," Martins says. "I pulled him out of his cruiser and tried to stimulate his chest."

Officer Biddy suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning.

There are 400 cars in the fleet similar to the one that Officer Biddy was sitting in. The Prince George's County police Department calls the scare an isolated incident.

A crack was found in a part of the car's engine.

Officer Biddy thought he smelled something funny back in January.

His car was sent to the dealership and tested negative for carbon monoxide.

The March incident was recreated to track Officer Biddy's movement.

"The heat was turned on to circulate from outside and with him revving the engine it brought the exhaust inside the car and that's what we needed to get the reading that we needed to show what he had that night," says Maj. Jacqueline Rafterry of the Automotive Services Division.

Martin was given an award from the fire department.

The lesson, he says, is to never hesitate to call 911 if you think something is wrong.

"You can turn them around once they're on their way but you can't start them once it's too late."

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending