CENTREVILLE, Va. (ABC7) — Fairfax County fire crews battled a massive fire in Centreville Friday night.
The Faircrest Community Clubhouse burst into flames in the 5400 block of Calamint Court around 8:30 p.m.
No injuries have been reported, and the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department said no one was in the clubhouse at the time of the fire.
Hours after the fire began, crews had put most of the fire out.
Firefighters let some of the fire burn longer because it was gas fed and it would have been dangerous to put it out before the gas was cut off, ABC7's Tom Roussey reports.
Fairfax County fire officials said the fire originated on the exterior of the structure within the trash can corral. It has also been ruled accidental.
The outside fire caused a failure of the gas meter lines, which led to the significant damage to the clubhouse, fire officials said. The natural gas fuel fire was also said to have rapidly propelled through the structure due to the high winds.
A passerby called 911 after seeing flames coming from the structure.
Damages are estimated at $120,000, according to officials.
SkyTrak 7 was live over the scene on ABC7's Facebook page.