16-year-old girl shot in Maryland high school shooting to be taken off life support

This undated photo provided by the Willey family shows Jaelynn Willey. A teenager armed with a handgun shot and critically wounded Willey inside a Maryland school on Tuesday, March 20, 2018, and the shooter was killed when a school resource officer confronted him moments after the gunfire erupted. A third student was in good condition after he was shot. (Courtesy of the Willey family via AP)

The 16-year-old girl who was shot in Tuesday morning’s high school shooting in Great Mills, Maryland, will be taken off life support.

Melissa Willey announced Thursday night during a news conference at University of Maryland Prince George’s Hospital Center that her daughter Jaelynn Willey would be taken off life support later that evening.

"As of now Jaelynn is still on life support, but she will not make it,” Melissa Willey said. “We will be taking her off life support this evening. She is brain dead. She has no life left in her."

Jaelynn Willey was shot in the head by 17-year-old Austin Rollins, a male student, just before 8 a.m. Tuesday in a hallway at Great Mills High School. They had recently ended a relationship, according to authorities.

RELATED: Great Mills High School to remain closed until Monday, April 2

"All indications suggest the shooting was not a random act of violence," the St. Mary's County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement Wednesday.

Jaelynn Willey was taken to University of Maryland Prince George’s Hospital Center with life-threatening injuries following the shooting.

On Wednesday, Melissa Willey told ABC7 News that her daughter was still in critical condition with no change in her condition.

Rollins died at University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center he was confronted by school resource officer Blaine Gaskill. Police said Gaskill fired one shot at Rollins, who simultaneously fired a shot as well, though it remains unclear if Gaskill's bullet killed him.

According to a student witness, Rollins held the gun to his head and Gaskill ordered him to drop it.

RELATED: Great Mills HS students took part in walkout against gun violence a week before shooting

Gaskill was not injured.

Desmond Barnes, 14, was also injured in the shooting when he was shot in the leg in the same hallway. He was released Wednesday from MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital where he had been transported for treatment.

An investigation has determined the Glock handgun used by Rollins in the shooting was legally owned by his father.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan released the following statement following Willey's mother's announcement Thursday:

Jaelynn Willey was the second oldest of nine children, Melissa Willey said.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off