73-year-old man and dog die after fire destroys home in Loudoun County, officials say

1 dead after fire destroys home in Loudoun County, officials say. (SkyTrak 7)

A 73-year-old man and his dog are dead after a fire in Lovettsville overnight left a home a total loss, according to authorities.

The Loudoun County Fire Department said when crews arrived on the scene the fire was so heavy they were forced to make an "exterior attack before entering the home to search for occupants." Once crews were able to re-enter the home they located the body of Robert Steves on the first floor.


Fire officials say they believe the fire was accidental and was the result of an "electrical malfunction in the living room." Furthermore, officials say Steves had "limited mobility capabilities" that contributed to his inability to escape the fire, as well as a lack of working smoke alarms in his home.

Fire crews from both Loudoun County and Frederick, Maryland were on the scene of the house fire at 12259 Taylorstown Road after it started at around 8 p.m.

Fire Marshals were also on the scene investigating and authorities confirmed one of the man's two dogs was able to escape.

The total loss to the home was estimated at $300 thousand.

SkyTrak 7 was live on the scene:

This story was updated on Thursday, Dec. 14, 2017.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off