WASHINGTON (ABC7) — The U.S. Department of Commerce has reported that Americans spend more money in restaurants than in the grocery stores. And while dining out may seem like the easier option, it often comes at the expense of our waistline and wallet.
With sheet-pan meals, you can cook an entire meal on a single baking sheet in 30 minutes or less. Sheet pan meals are a great alternative to classic one-pot recipes.
Registered dietitian Valerie Agyeman shared her favorite quick and healthy sheet-pan recipes:
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts ( 1/4”- 1/2” wide strips)
- 1 red bell pepper, long thin slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, long thin slices
- 1 green pepper, long thin slices
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Seasonings: 1 tsp paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, coriander and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8-10 flour tortillas
- Optional garnishes/toppings: cilantro, lime wedges, guacamole, sour cream, salsa
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray large sheet pan with oil.
- Scatter peppers, onions, and chicken on sheet pan. Sprinkle on seasonings. Drizzle with olive oil. Use tongs to toss until everything is coated and spread in an even layer. 3.Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring at 15 minutes.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and put in oven with fajita mixture during last 10 minutes of baking time.
- Garnish sheet pan with cilantro and lime wedges.
- Serve with warm tortillas and optional toppings.
Sheet pan Garlic Parmesan Veggies with Turkey Sausage
- 2 cups red potato, chopped
- 3/4 lb green beans
- 1.5 c broccoli, chopped
- 1.5 c chopped bell peppers
- 9 oz turkey sausage
- 6 tbs canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1 tbs dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Serve with: fresh parsley, quinoa/rice, parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Place all the veggies and sausage on a sheet pan. Pour the olive oil and all the spices on top. Toss to evenly coat all the veggies and meat.
- Bake 15 minutes, remove from the oven and flip/stir all the veggies around. Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender and sausage is browned.
- If desired, sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan cheese over the veggies and sausage as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Enjoy with rice or quinoa and fresh parsley, if desired.