DC VegFest and meatless tacos, sloppy joes and "beef" stir fry
WASHINGTON (ABC7) —
The DC VegFest is just days away at Yards Park, and what better time to preview the plant-based party than Wellness Wednesday? Holistic nutritionist Dr. Ruby Lathon shared all you need to know about the big day, as well as must-have recipes, including:
- “Beef” & Broccoli Stir-Fry made with Seitan
- Walnut Meat Tacos with Homemade Vegan Cotija Cheese
- Tempeh Sloppy Joes
Learn more at rubylathon.com.
Cholesterol-Free Tempeh Sloppy Joes
- 1 package (8 oz) of plain organic tempeh, crumbled
- 1 16oz bottle organic barbeque sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large yellow onion finely diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 1 green pepper very finely diced (best done in food processor)
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely shredded (best done with food processor)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons stone ground brown mustard
- 2-3 tablespoons cold pressed coconut oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 4-6 small whole grain buns
- Heat a large skillet, add 4-5 tablespoons of water
- Add crumbled tempeh, green peppers, garlic and onions to heated skillet, let brown and caramelize, add more water as needed (about 5-7 minutes).
- After about 6 minutes when tempeh is almost done add 2-3 tables spoons of coconut oil to help brown, add carrots, cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add barbecue sauce and mustard and let simmer for about 5 minutes
- Add shredded lettuce on bottom of bun, spoon on tempeh and top with bun top. Enjoy!
10-Minute Walnut Meat Tacos
- 1 cup raw walnuts (soaked for 2 hours or overnight, drained)
- 1 small shallot or 1/2 medium red onion
- 3/4 cup sundried tomatoes (re-hydrated)
- Juice of half a lime
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoon cumin
- 1.5 teaspoon Spanish or smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sea salt to taste (1/2 -1 teaspoon)
- 1 cup mixed greens
- 3-4 tablespoons of water to get mixture moving
- 6 Spanish Olives
- 4 raw coconut wraps (AKA: paleo wraps), cut in half or 4-5 Blue Corn Taco Shells
- Put all ingredients, except water, wraps, greens and olives, into a food processor and pulse until ingredients are incorporated.
- Stop in between to scrape down sides. Add a tablespoon of water as needed. Mixture should be thick and relatively dry but moist.
- Place coconut wrap on plate top with lettuce, add 2-3 tablespoons taco mix, top with salsa.
Alternatives: Serve in an organic taco shell, on a round organic tortilla with vegan sour cream.
Vegan Cotija Cheese
- 1 cup raw almonds
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pulse almonds in a food processor until ground into a powder
- Add all other ingredients and pulse or mix with smooth
- Use immediately or refrigerate for later use
“Beef” & Broccoli Almond Stir Fry
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 large red bell pepper, (remove seeds) cut into large 1-2 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup raw almonds (soaked for 2 or more hours, drain)
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes(packed in olive oil or rehydrated)
- 1 teaspoon dulse flakes
- 2-3 tablespoons tamari or liquid amino
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove fresh garlic
- 1/2 package of marinated Seitan, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Chop bell pepper Heat about 3-4 tablespoons of water in a wok or stainless steel pan.
- Add seitan and tamari and cook for 3-4 minutes to brown slightly.
- Add broccoli, bell pepper and sun-dried tomatoes. Cover and let cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes, stir occasionally to prevent tempeh from sticking.
- Add all other ingredients. Cover for another 2 minutes until broccoli is bright green and still firm. Remove from heat and serve.
- Serving suggestion: Serve over brown rice or quinoa.