Beer-spiced recipes with the Salt and Pepper Chefs
WASHINGTON (ABC7) —
This Saturday is National Beer Day, but why wait ‘til the weekend to celebrate? The Salt and Pepper Chefs Brian Reeve and Terrell Danley got the party started on Taste Test Tuesday with beer-spiced dishes.
Brian’s Barbecued Ribs
- Serves 6 to 8
- 2 - to - 3 slabs of baby back pork ribs (can also use spare ribs) ; cut into 1/2 slabs
- Favorite barbecue rub
- 2 cans of beer
- Favorite barbecue sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees
- Season ribs liberally w/barbecue rub.
- Place ribs in oven safe, pan; bone side down
- Pour beers into the bottom of pan.
- Cover pan tightly w/aluminum foil; bake about 3 hours.
- Remove from oven when meat pulls apart easily.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat grill to medium-high temperature.
- Transfer ribs to platter; brush favorite barbecue sauce on one side of ribs.
- Place ribs sauce side down on grill; brush top w/barbecue sauce.
- Grill 5-7 minutes per side to finish.
Note: If you are making barbecue sauce from leftover rib juices, bake ribs in pan that can be heated on stovetop.
Chef Tee’s Italian Chicken Sausage & Peppers Sub Sandwich
- Serves 5
- Prep time: 5 minutes; cooking time: 15-to-20 minutes
- 5 (4-to-5 ounces) Italian chicken sausage links
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup beer (can substitute chicken broth)
- 1 medium white onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 5 pretzel bread baguettes, cut in half lengthwise (optional—warm in oven or toaster)
- 2 cups favorite tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. basil, chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In large skillet, add oil, 1/4 cup beer, sausage, onions, peppers; bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover; cook until sausage is cooked through (about 5-to-10 minutes).
- Remove cover; brown sausage on all sides (about 2-to-3 minutes per side); transfer sausage, peppers, onions to separate dish.
- Stir in 1/4 cup beer to hot skillet to loosen sausage drippings from bottom of pan; add tomato sauce; stir in parsley, basil.
- Bring tomato sauce mixture to boil; season to taste w/Salt & Pepper.
- Assemble sub by putting one sausage link, peppers, onions, tomato sauce in between two pretzel slices.
- Repeat step 5 for rest of ingredients.