Ravens' Ray Rice publicly apologizes to wife after assault, NFL suspension
OWINGS MILLS, Md. (ABC News) — Baltimore Ravens player Ray Rice publicly apologized to his wife Thursday and said she can "do no wrong," just months after he allegedly struck his then-fiancee and was caught on video dragging her from an Atlantic City elevator.
It was the first time the NFL star answered questions about the Feb. 15 incident, which earned him a two-game suspension from the NFL.
"What happened that night is something that never should have happened," Rice, 27, said.
He called the violent incident his "lowest low" and expressed concern his 2-year-old daughter with wife Janay Palmer would one day learn about her dad's mistake on Google.
"It hurts because I can't go out there and play football, but it hurts more because I have to be a father and explain what happened to my daughter," he said.
Rice declined to say what triggered the incident, saying he just wants to move forward with his family.
"My actions that night were totally inexcusable," he said.
Rice called his wife an "angel" and said he let her, her parents, his teammates and the entire Baltimore community down.
Rice will miss the season opener against AFC North champion Cincinnati on Sept. 7 and the Sept. 11 game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The six-year veteran was arrested following the altercation, in which he allegedly struck Palmer. Rice has been accepted into a diversion program, which upon completion could lead to the charges being expunged.
Rice met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell last month after joining the diversion program. Goodell ultimately decided to suspend the running back for two games without pay and fine him an additional game check "for conduct detrimental to the NFL in violation of the league's Personal Conduct Policy."