Joseph Newell killed in shooting; Antwan Rayvon James in custody

James, 27, was wanted for the murder of his stepfather, an off-duty D.C. police detective. Photo: Prince George's County Police

The 27-year-old man who's accused of shooting and killing his stepfather, an MPD detective, on Monday night at their Upper Marlboro home will likely be held without bond after a review hearing Wednesday afternoon.

Prince George's County Police Spokeswoman Julie Parker says Antwan Rayvon James turned himself in Tuesday, a day after he allegedly shot and killed his stepfather, Joseph Newell, during a dispute that was reportedly about yard work.

Family members dropped James off at police headquarters, where he was charged with first-degree murder. Police would not say that James was being uncooperative, but they did say there was "not a lot of communication between him and detectives."

Newell, 46, had been a detective with the Metropolitan Police Department's 6th District since 1989.

"I am going to miss him. I am really going to miss him," said Newell's partner, Detective Sabrina Young.

Young last saw her partner at 5 p.m. Monday. Three hours later, he was gunned down by his stepson after asking James to do yard work at their home in the{ }6700 block of Green Moss Drive, prosecutors allege.

Newell fell from a stepladder to the driveway, and James stood over him{ } and fired several shots, Assistant Police Chief Kevin Davis said during a news conference.

"It was an execution," he said. "It's as simple and tragic as that."

The entire incident was captured by surveillance cameras at the home, Davis said, and police have found no motive other than the argument over yard work.

"I was still in disbelief so I had to go to the house myself," Young continued.

James had been living with his stepfather since he was fired from the fire department sometime in the past 18 months, said Davis, who had no details about what led to the firing.

Newell was married and had two teenage daughters in addition to his stepchildren. He had established a solid reputation as a detective while handling the toughest cases. To his colleagues at the 6th District off of Benning Road, he was more than a friend.

"He was loved it just goes beyond him being well liked and having a co-worker," says Officer Robert Munn.

Colleagues boasted over his dedication to his job and his ability to solve cases. They added when he got on a case, he was tenacious, adding his sense of humor lit up the office of more the 20 detectives.

Online court records from Maryland show James was charged last month with violating his probation on a second-degree assault charge. He also received probation before judgment in an unrelated drunken-driving case, records show. He was recently fired from the D.C. Fire Department.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.