Jessie Chavez murdered in Oxon Hill Clarion hotel shooting

Police release video of the suspect in the hotel killing. (Photo courtesy PGPD video)

OXON HILL, Md. (WJLA) - A hotel employee was fatally shot late Monday night in Prince George's County during an attempted robbery.

Prince George's County Police said that the suspect entered the Clarion Hotel at 6400 Oxon Hill Road just after 10 p.m. Monday night, brandished a handgun and demanded cash.

Surveillance video shows the suspect, jumping over the hotel's front desk and holding an employee at gunpoint.

The hotel's 27-year-old food service and bar manager, identified as Jessee Alexis Chavez, then confronted the suspect and the two made their way outside the building where, out of camera range, the suspect shot the victim, who was pronounced dead on the scene.

Video then shows the suspect speeding away in what appears to be a dark-colored car.

Brokenhearted, family members and friends of Jesse Chavez later gathered just feet away from where he was gunned down.

The victim's distraught mother, Vivian Chavez , said her son tried to protect a pregnant front desk clerk during an armed robbery.

Chavez had worked at the hotel for seven years, and those who knew him say it wouldn’t be out of character for him to protect a pregnant co-worker.

"He was a kind, gentle person who was helping a co-worker who screamed for help," said customer Carla McClintock.

"He loved this he could not stand by and see something happen like that," added former co-worker Mattie Leonard.

Vivian said her son surprised her Sunday with tickets to the Redskins-Bears game. He made the day even more special when he gave her a customized Redskins jersey with Mamacita sewn on the name bar. Chavez's jersey name was 'Mr. Latinbear.'

“Just a big teddy bear as sweet as can be,” Vivian Chavez said of her son. “Everyone at work loved him.”

A photo of the two together in their jerseys at the game is now one of her most treasured possessions.{ }

“He was the joy of my life,” Vivian Chavez said. “My first son and he was taken away from me."

Though his family and friends want justice, they know that nothing will bring him back.

Police did not indicate if the suspect had made off with any cash, nor could they provide any information or description of the suspect.