(AP, ABC7) The hotel maid who accused Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the former head of the International Monetary Fund, of trying to sexually assaulting her in a New York hotel room, spoke exclusively to ABC News.
"I want justice. I want him to go to jail," the woman told ABC's Robin Roberts. "I want him to know that there is some places you cannot use your money, you cannot use your power when you do something like this."
"I said, `Sir, stop this. I don't want to lose my job.' He said, `You're not going to lose your job,"' Nafissatou Diallo told Newsweek in a cover story posted online Sunday.
"I push him. I get up. I wanted to scare him. I said, `Look, there is my supervisor right there,"' she told Newsweek. But Strauss-Kahn said no one was there to hear, she said, and he went on to yank up her uniform dress, tear down her pantyhose, forcefully grab her crotch and then grip her head and force her to perform oral sex.
Strauss-Kahn denies the attempted rape and other charges, and his lawyers called the interviews "an unseemly circus" designed to inflame public opinion.
Diallo had rebuffed media attempts to interview her since Strauss-Kahn's May 14 arrest. Her name had been reported by some French media outlets but not by major U.S. media, which generally protect the identities of people who say they've been sexually assaulted.
The interviews come with the case against Strauss-Kahn in limbo after Manhattan prosecutors raised doubts about the housekeeper's overall credibility. They said July 1 she had lied about her life story and wasn't consistent about what she did right after Strauss-Kahn allegedly attacked her in his suite.
They said the maid had committed a host of minor frauds to better her life in the U.S. since arriving in the country seven years ago, including lying on immigration paperwork and cheating on her taxes.
Diallo told Newsweek she wants Strauss-Kahn held accountable, and she was going public to tell a story she said had never wavered.
"It never changed. I know what this man do to me," she told the magazine, adding that she wanted to counter what she felt were misleading portrayals of her.
"Because of him they call me a prostitute," said Diallo, who has sued the New York Post over stories in which anonymous sources said she sold sex for money; the newspaper has said it stands by its reporting. "I want him to go to jail. I want him to know there are some places you cannot use your power, you cannot use your money."
The 32-year-old Guinean immigrant told Newsweek a room-service waiter told her Strauss-Kahn's suite was empty around noon May 14, so she knocked on the door and said, "Hello? Housekeeping." When he appeared in a hallway naked, she said, "I'm so sorry" and turned to leave - but he said, "You don't have to be sorry," closed the suite door and advanced on her "like a crazy man," she said.
She testified to a grand jury that after the alleged attack, she cowered in a hallway and watched Strauss-Kahn leave, then told a supervisor. Prosecutors said earlier this month that she later told them she actually had gone on cleaning rooms, including his then-empty suite, before consulting her supervisor. She told Newsweek she was disoriented and went into the rooms briefly before a supervisor came across her and asked why she was upset; Diallo denied changing her account.
The interview will air Monday on "Good Morning America" and "World News with Diane Sawyer" and Tuesday on "Nightline."
Strauss-Kahn, widely seen as a potentially successful French presidential candidate before his arrest, was pulled off a plane and arrested hours later.
"Ms. Diallo is the first accuser in history to conduct a media campaign to persuade a prosecutor to pursue charges against a person from whom she wants money," his lawyers, Benjamin Brafman and William W. Taylor III, said in a statement that blasted Thompson as unprofessional. "Her lawyers know that her claim for money suffers a fatal blow when the criminal charges are dismissed, as they must be."
Thompson fired back with a statement of his own, saying Strauss-Kahn's lawyers "have conducted an unprecedented smear campaign against the victim of a violent sexual attack." He noted that they have said whatever happened in the suite wasn't forced.
"We are dealing with a brutal sexual attack, a mountain of physical evidence, a victim who spoke out immediately, and numerous corroborating witnesses," Thompson said in a statement.
The Manhattan District Attorney's communications chief, Erin Duggan, said the investigation was continuing and declined to discuss the case further.