ROME (AP) - Anti-terrorism police in Milan say the city's U.S. Consulate has been evacuated after receiving a letter containing a bomb threat.
An officer said the letter carried a symbol frequently used by Italian anarchists in the past.
The officer said police were inspecting the building after staff members were evacuated early Tuesday evening, and that no members of the public appeared to be there at the time. The officer spoke on condition of anonymity in keeping with police regulations.
Italian news reports said several Italian radio stations have offices in the same building and also were evacuated. The reports said a subway stop nearby was briefly closed as a precaution, then reopened.
Police denied Italian news reports that suspicious luggage also had been found at the consulate.
The reported threat comes hours after the United States ordered non-essential personnel in Yemen to evacuate the country due to what they say is a "high risk of attack" from al-Qaida.
Nineteen American diplomatic posts across the globe remain closed due to the continuing threat, the State Department says. Those embassies and consulates that are closed include ones in the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and numerous others.