Vigil held for Amir Brooks, Md. teen killed in dirt bike crash after being chased by Prince George's County Police

FORESTVILLE, Md. (WJLA) – A vigil was held Friday night for a Prince George’s County teenager who was killed in a dirt bike crash after being chased by police.

Amir Brooks, 17, was reportedly being chased by a Prince George’s County Police officer said to be investigating whether the dirt bike was connected to a robbery. The officer involved is an eight-year veteran who apparently violated policy by initiating a chase for a minor offense.
Dozens gathered at the emotional candlelight vigil Friday to remember Amir’s abbreviated life.

“I love him. He was a good kid,” Amir’s uncle, Frederick Bass said, tearing up. “His whole life was in front of him. And now, I’m getting ready to bury him, getting ready to say goodbye for the last time.”

On Monday afternoon, Amir and his cousin left his apartment complex riding a dirt bike. An off-duty Prince George’s County Police Officer, working security, began pursuing them—all the way to the D.C. line.

In a statement, PGCPD said, “The officer activated his lights and attempted to verify with the dispatcher whether the dirt bike was connected to a recent armed robbery at a county business.”

But so far, there is no evidence that connects Amir or his bike with such a crime. Amir wouldn’t stop when he was being chased; he lost control of the bike on Alabama Avenue in Southeast D.C. and struck a tree. Neither Amir, nor his cousin, was wearing a helmet. Amir later died from his injuries.

“I’m just shocked that the police would actually do something like this,” said friend Danielle Jones. “He was just a child.”

Amir’s cousin survived the crash, but his mother, Pamela Brooks, says something has to be done.

“I want justice, that’s my main thing,” Brooks said. “I want those involved to pay for what happened, costing my son his life.”

She added, “I wouldn’t wish this on anybody—anybody. This is the most painful thing I’ve been through.”

A GoFundMe account has been set up to raise money for Amir’s funeral.