75
      Tuesday
      93 / 73
      Wednesday
      92 / 74
      Thursday
      93 / 73

      Upper Marlboro fire destroys home, displaces family

      UPPER MARLBORO, Md. (WJLA) - Just took weeks before Christmas, a Prince George's County family is displaced after a fire destroyed their home. Everything inside the house on Castle Drive was destroyed, except for a few things the family members are now holding close.{}

      In the rubble of the charred remains, Candice Wedge uncovers precious treasures from the house she grew up in - family photos of happier times - untouched by the fire that raced through the house{}her grandparents bought{}50 years ago.{}

      "I looked through the window and saw flames out the back of the house," says Sean McCoy.

      Harriet Jackson, her son Martin, and 23-year-old grandson Lamont escaped as the{}fire raced through their home around 3:45 a.m. Friday. They{}ran to Kevin Smith's house, who has known the family his entire life.{}

      "There was nothing they could do. The flames just got out of control," Smith says.

      Now the Jacksons have only what they had on their backs before the fire destroyed their home. But for Wedge and her family, none of that matters much to them; the holiday season will be more rich and meaningful than they've shared before.

      "A little shock, a little sadness. It's the holiday season... we have each other," she says.

      Officials say the fire was started by a space heater and caused an estimated $100,000 in damages. There were no injuries.