Miriam Carey killed in Capitol shooting

The suspect's car sits on the grass near a security gate on Capitol Hill. Photo: The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (WJLA) - Authorities shot and killed a woman, 34-year-old Miriam Carey of Connecticut, Thursday afternoon outside the U.S. Capitol after she attempted to drive her vehicle through a barricade, police tell ABC7.

According to a statement released by the MPD, at approximately 2:12 pm, a black Infiniti sedan with Connecticut tags struck a barrier and a Secret Service officer at a check point of the White House at 15th and E Street NW.

The vehicle then sped east on Pennsylvania Avenue NW, chased by Secret Service officials, then hit a police vehicle at Garfield Circle. Carey continued to flee.

The pursuit continued to 1st Street and Constitution Avenue NW, where an officer was injured in car collision and airlifted to a local hospital. MedStar confirmed on Thursday night at approximately 9:30 p.m. that the officer has been treated and released.

The vehicle finally crashed in the 100 block of Maryland Avenue NE.

There were multiple shots fired during the incident, which is still under investigation by the MPD. Carey reportedly died as a result of injuries sustained in the shooting.

A female, one-year-old baby was also in the vehicle, and was taken to a local hospital for observation. She has no injuries.

CNN reports that the FBI is executing a search warrant in Connecticut at Carey's home. And when asked about this incident perhaps being an accident on Carey’s part, D.C.’s Chief Lanier said:

"All the information we have now is this does not appear to be in any way an accident. This was a lengthy pursuit. There were multiple vehicles that were rammed. There were officers that were struck, and two security perimeters that were attempted to be breached. So it does not appear in any way that this was an accident."

Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., told reporters he was walking from the Capitol to the Senate Russell Office Building across the street when he noticed several police officers driving fast up Constitution Avenue on motorcycles.

"Within seconds of that," Casey said, "we heard three, four, five pops," which he assumed were gunshots. He said police ordered Casey and nearby tourists to crouch behind a car for protection.

In about two minutes, he said, the officers moved everyone into the Capitol.{ }

FBI agents rushed to the scene and Senate Sergeant at Arms Terrance Gainer said: "There are reports of injuries."

As a warning was sounded, the House abruptly went into recess and lawmakers left the chamber floor. The Senate also suspended business.

People standing outside the Supreme Court across the street from Congress were hurried into the court building by authorities.

After nearly an hour, police ended the lockdown.

The White House was quickly locked down after the incident at Capitol Hill and the stretch of Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the compound was closed to pedestrians. Secret Service said the procedures were precautionary.

As of 9:30 p.m. Thursday night, there will continue to be road closures due to an ongoing investigation of the incident by U.S. Capitol Police:

• Constitution Avenue between Louisiana Avenue, N.W. and Third Street, N.E.
• First Street between East Capitol Street, N.E. and Constitution Avenue, N.E.
• Second Street between East Capitol Street, N.E. and Constitution Avenue, N.E.
• First Street between Louisiana Avenue, N.W. and Pennsylvania, Avenue, N.W.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.