Two fires reported in Temple Hills

The second fire, located in the 2800 block of Curtis Drive, was reported around 12:15 p.m. No one was injured in this fire.

In just over an hour, Prince George's County firefighters were called to two separate house fires Thursday.

Fire crews were called to the 3500 block of Everest Drive just before 11 a.m. They arrived to find fire showing from the first floor of the home.

During a search of the home, firefighters found a woman, who is believed to be in her 60s. PGFD Chief Spokesman Mark Brady says the woman was not breathing and had no pulse. CPR was performed, and the victim was transported to a nearby hospital, where she is listed in critical condition.

The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes.

No other injuries were reported.

While it appears the fire started in the home's first floor bedroom, fire officials are working to determine a cause.

The second fire, located in the 2800 block of Curtis Drive, was reported around 12:15 p.m.

Firefighters extinguished the basement fire within 15 minutes of arrival. No one was inside the home.

Brady said an electric space heater is believed to have started the fire.

"They left a space heater on in the basement of the house," Brady explained.{ }

The fire serves as a reminder that when using a space heaters, make sure they're not close to flammable objects and that they're not left unattended.

And if your heater is old, get a new one. Newer models will likely have better technology that can prevent fires, which are common when the temperature drops drastically.

"It's like flicking a switch. Firefighters go from being busy to being extremely busy," Brady added.

While the home on Curtis Drive suffered some damage, friends and family members of the homeowners, Jim and Eva McCloud, are just happy the couple is safe.

Neighbor Mamie Lynch said, "That's a blessing from the Lord for them not to be there."

The McClouds, who are in their 80s, were away when the fire started.

The couple's granddaughter, Elizabeth Joyner, came to the scene to see the damage to the home where her mother grew up.

She's glad her grandparents are okay.

"It's just truly a blessing. I can only thank God for that, that they weren't here," Joyner said.