Officials have determined an apartment fire in Sterling that left 26 people displaced was accidental and caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials.
At 7:39 a.m., fire personnel responded to a fire in a four-story apartment building in the 20500 block of Reserve Falls Terrace, said Loudoun County Fire and Rescue spokeswoman Mary Maguire.
When firefighters arrived, heavy fire was coming from the building. Fire crews initiated an offensive attack but were forced to evacuate due to potential structural collapse.
A second alarm was activated and a defensive attack was mounted until it was safe for crews to get back inside. Firefighters from Sterling, Lansdowne, Ashburn and Fairfax responded to the fire. Crews remained on the scene for several hours performing overhaul and checking for hot spots.
At least 13 units in the building have been damaged. The Red Cross was on the scene helping people.
Two people were transported to Lansdowne for check out, one with possible smoke inhalation and a second person for a minor medical emergency.
No other injures were reported.
Loudoun County Fire Marshal personnel estimate there is about two million dollars in damages.