Silver Spring fire victims remain displaced day after blaze

Resident Kenita Sullivan's son Charles was killed in a car crash this spring. She hopes to recover every photo and memory of her son from her burned apartment.

SILVER SPRING, Md. (WJLA) - A day after a roaring fire tore through a large apartment building in Silver Spring, about a dozen displaced residents remain at a Montgomery County community center seeking help.

The fire, which was caused by a malfunctioning electrical socket, sent 10 residents to the hospital with minor injuries. It started just before 3:45 p.m. Tuesday and took firefighters more than 2 1/2 hours to get under control.

More than 100 residents of the Forest Park Apartments building at Piney Branch Road near New Hampshire Avenue were displaced by the fire. Many residents had to be rescued from third and fourth floor apartments.

Twelve people displaced by the blaze spent the night at the Long Branch Community Recreation Center. They met with county officials Wednesday about their options. Financial and housing specialists were on hand to determine if any of the residents qualified for food stamps or medical assistance.

“We’re not going to see anyone without food, medication or clothing,” says Linda Frazier of the American Red Cross.

“If [your blood sugar] goes too low you can go into a diabetic coma and you will die,” he said. “It’s a very serious situation," says resident Shajee Tahaw-Wur, who couldn't grab his diabetes medication in time.

Resident Kenita Sullivan thought she’d seen the worst in May when her 4-year-old son Charles was killed in a Prince George’s County car crash.

“I can’t believe this happened to me after what happened to me in May and I feel like I have to start all over again,” she says.

Sullivan is thankful she and her 7-year-old daughter escaped the fire, but hopes to recover every item left behind by her son.

“Pictures and memories that I have of my son, I want all of that back if I can get it back.”

The fire did about $1.5 million in damage to the building and its contents.

ABC7's Kevin Lewis contributed to this report.