Roe family of four killed in crash by alleged drunk driver

The mother of a man accused in an alleged drunk-driving crash that killed a family of four says he has received threats in the aftermath.

Steven Boyce is the accused of rear-ending a family’s SUV just off Interstate 81 in Stephenson, Va., on Sunday morning. The SUV’s fuel tank then exploded. The two parents with their children inside were killed.

On Wednesday, a judge ruled that Boyce is to be held without bond while he awaits trial.

The 20-year-old Boyce was the lone survivor. Police say they found an open bottle of rum and beer in the pickup and charged Boyce of Winchester with involuntary manslaughter, driving under the influence and underage possession of alcohol. He was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

His mother Patty says she saw him in the hospital right after the deadly accident.

“He grabbed my hand and he told me that, he says, ‘Mom you know this is not me.’ And, it's not, it's not him,” Patty Boyce said. She says would not have driven had he been drunk. Boyce has received threats since the accident. Security at the hospital was increased in part because of that.

Conflicting accounts of Saturday activities

Police said his speech was slurred, eyes were bloodshot and his blood alcohol level tested at 0.27, more than three times the limit for legal drinkers. Boyce is 20.

Friends say Boyce had been at an all-day party Saturday at the Frederick County fairgrounds, but there are conflicting accounts about what happened after. It’s unclear whether alcohol was consumed at the fairground events and where Boyce spent the night.

Boyce reportedly stopped at a Sheetz just before the accident to buy cigarettes.

“The worst part is having to deal with something that you did wrong. You've got to live with it,” Steven’s mother Patty said.

Patty Boyce says the family is devastated at the events. A granddaughter of hers is close in age to the boys killed in the crash.

“I'm sorry for that family... I'm sorry,” she said.

Family of four killed in crash

Mark and Amanda Roe were headed to their regular Sunday lunch at Mark's mother's house with their sons, 11-year-old Caleb and 4-year-old Tyler. Their red Jeep Cherokee was stopped at a red light on Route 11 at Interstate 81, when a speeding pickup truck rear-ended it. The jeep's fuel tank ruptured and burst into flames.

“I just think it's a tragedy that he did this. He just tore people's hearts out, and it shouldn't have happened,” Denise Roe said of the other driver.

The Roes were close-knit, loved their boys, and were preparing to celebrate their 11th wedding anniversary this Friday, family said.

“They were good, decent beautiful family. They never did nobody wrong,” said Andy Simkhavitch, Amanda Roe’s father.

{ }