Reagan runway gets a facelift
Starting Monday night, preparations will start for a major rehabilitation project on a runway at Reagan National Airport.
Runway 1/19 will be completely milled and resurfaced for the first time since 1990. The runway will close down at night through 2011.
The project work includes:
• Replacing the Runway 1/19 centerline lighting system
• Milling and re-surfacing the entire 6,869-foot asphalt runway
• Milling and re-surfacing large portions of a taxiway near Runway 1/19
• Shifting one runway safety area 300 feet to the south
• Replacing the runway approach light pier in the Potomac River
• Replacing the runway approach light system