(WJLA) - Starting Tuesday, July 1, many new laws will go into effect across the D.C. area.
In Prince George's County, all homes with gas service, an attached garage, or a fireplace must have a carbon monoxide detector. Emergency responders hope the move will save lives.
The carbon monoxide detectors are required in all new homes and many older ones as well. Residents without a carbon monoxide detector can be fined $100.
Prince George's County Fire Chief Marc Bashoor said nine people have died in the past four years from carbon monoxide poisoning, including a family of five in Oxon Hill in April 2012.
"A lot of times it is out of sight out of mind. People think it's not going to happen to me and I ask them to look back to that family in Oxon Hill who went to bed thinking everything was going to be fine in the morning when they woke up and they never had that chance," said Bashoor.
Only houses with electrical heating without an attached garage are exempt from the new law.
The fire department won't be actively seeking those who violate the new requirement, but homeowners are strongly encouraged to comply with the new law.