Police: Maryland officer killed in "unprovoked' attack on police station

Crime scene near Prince George's Police Department Headquarters where an officer was shot, and is in critical condition. (ABC7 photo)

Twenty-eight-year-old Prince George's Police Officer Jacai Colson was killed Sunday in what police called an "unprovoked" attack on District III police station, near the Prince George's County Police Department headquarters.

Officer Colson was a four-year veteran of the Prince George's Police Department.

According to police, a suspect opened fire on police at the station, that is located next to PGPD's headquarters, at 7600 Barlowe Rd, Hyattsville, Md.

Police returned fire, injuring the suspect in the cross-fire. It's unclear at this point in the investigation if Officer Colson was shot by the suspect, or if he was injured by police-fire as they shot back. Police said the cause was under investigation.

One of the officers on the scene put Officer Colson in the back of his police cruiser, and brought him to P.G. County Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead.

The suspect was also transported to P.G. County Hospital Center, after being taken into custody. Police said the suspect was expected to survive.

Police Chief Hank Stawinski, said in a live press conference Sunday evening that, "officers did not shrink, they bravely advanced and engaged this individual who was threatening not just the police officers in the police facility he was opening fire onto, but numerous members of the community in the area."

Police said two suspects were arrested in connection to the shooting. The first suspect surrendered to officers at a Popeyes on Dodge Park and Landover Road. The second suspect was taken into custody shortly thereafter. Details from the second suspect's arrest were not outlined by police.

There were initial fears of an "active shooter or shooters" in the area. Police Sunday evening said they believed all suspects were in custody.

The young officer, who was celebrating his 29th birthday this week, was described by Fraternal Order of Police president John Teletchea as a responsible and hard-working man.

"He was a police officer, he was a real cop's cop. He didn't shy away from any calls, he never shirked his responsibility, he was always working, and he was always there for his fellow brothers and sisters. Personally he was a very close friend of mine. I'm going to miss him dearly. But even more, this community is going to lose a man that dedicated himself to protecting everyone of them, and it's a shame," Teletchea said.

Police said PGFD Ambulance 808 was also shot at and hit on the front bumper during the incident.

Several PGPD officers arrived at P.G. County Hospital Center to show their support.

Sunday's attack comes only 15 days after Prince William County Police Officer Ashley Guindon was shot and killed in a domestic-related shooting.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off