Police: Man attacked by two dogs in NE

The attacking dogs escaped from Towing Pros and Recovery in Northeast D.C., police say.

{ }

A 74-year-old man, who was in serious condition after he was attacked by two large dogs near a tow yard in Northeast D.C. early Tuesday morning, is recovering and is now in fair condition, his family says.

Linda Brown, his daughter, is praising neighbors as heroes for saving Bell.

Brown says her father has a long road to full recovery ahead of him.

"He's still in a lot of pain because the dogs, they bit him pretty bad," Brown says.

MPD spokesperson Tisha Gant says a 911 caller reported that the man was bitten by the dogs in the middle of the 400 block of 36th Street at about 6:45 a.m.

Police say the dogs got loose from Towing Pros and Recovery through a gaping hole in a chain link gate and tackled Bell to the ground. Witnesses say the dogs bit Bell on his head, arms, body, and legs. And even tore off his shoes.

The victim, identified as Sawney Bell, suffered multiple lacerations and a broken arm during the attack.

"When I saw him laying there, he was bit everywhere,” says witness Ben Campbell. “When a dog takes off your shoes and starts biting ya, it is incredible. I ain't never seen nothing like it."

An employee at the tow yard says the dogs involved in the attack are Cane Corsos, a muscular and large-boned breed. The Towing Pros employee tells ABC 7 News that the two male dogs are named Money and Kilo, weigh between 120 and 140 pounds and are 9 months and 3 years old.

Public records indicate the owners of the towing company are Steve Ghareeb of Fairfax and his partner Yassir al Zubeidy. The owners later arrived at the lot and sources say they were given two $50 citations for unleashed dogs.

Animal Control is conducting a dangerous dog investigation, which could end with the dogs being euthanized. But as far as criminal charges against the owner, the citations might be the only action. The owners weren't on the property at the time and they didn't purposely use the dogs as a weapon and order the attack.

It was originally reported that the dogs were pit bulls.

The victim was walking to the Metro when the attack occurred, according to the family.

Another witness tells ABC7 News that he sent his dog out to chase off the two attacking dogs.

Some neighbors expressed concern for the suspect dogs, who they say live at a nearby tow truck lot along with a third dog.

Neighbor Phillip Randall grabbed a shovel. He saw two dogs dragging what looked like to him to be another dog.

The dogs survey and protect the lot, which the employee said is an impound lot, contracted by the Metropolitan Police Department.

Police say that Animal Control officials have the attacking dogs in their custody.

{ }