WATCH: D.C. police chief gives update on two officers shot, suspect killed in Northeast

D.C. police confirmed two officers were shot and a suspect killed in Northeast Washington late Thursday evening.

Friday afternoon, D.C. Police Chief Peter Newsham held a news conference with updates.

One of the officers has been released from the hospital after treatment. Newsham said the injuries to both officers were non-life-threatening and their prognosis is good.

Newsham said the officers were in uniforms and in an unmarked vehicle, responding to the area of the 1200 block of Holbrook Street, NE after reports of shots fired.

When officers tried to question a man on foot, he fled and a foot chase followed, Newsham said. The man was caught and there was a struggle.

During the struggle, shots were fired and one officer shot the suspect, Timothy Lionel Williams, 47, of no fixed address. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

A semi-automatic handgun was recovered at the scene, Newsham said.

The officers were wearing body cameras that were activated, Newsham said.

Both officers are now on administrative leave, the chief said.

The two officers were in stable condition and in "good spirits," D.C. Police Union Treasurer Gregg Pemberton tweeted Friday morning.

Newsham previously stated on Thursday evening that it appeared the officers' conditions were not life-threatening. Both officers were in uniform and shot in the lower body, according to officials.

Raw video of the scene was released to ABC7 News Friday afternoon.

Please view with caution:

ABC7's John Gonzalez reports one of the officers underwent surgery overnight.

Police confirmed a suspect was shot by an officer and pronounced dead at the hospital. A weapon was recovered from the scene that is believed to be the shooters.

The shooting happened shortly before 11 p.m. at the intersection of Morse and Holbrook Streets. Officials said it's unclear who fired the shots at the officers and circumstances surrounding the shooting remain unclear.

The police officers were in the area on patrol after four men were shot in three separate shootings on Wheeler Road earlier that same evening when shots were fired at them, officials reported.

Newsham spoke to the press at the scene. Watch below:

This story has been updated.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off