FORESTVILLE, Md. (WJLA) - Prince George's investigators say a marijuana grow room likely sparked a two alarm fire at the Penn Landing apartment complex.
It happened Friday at about 4 a.m. just off of Pennsylvania Avenue in Forestville. Firefighters say heavy smoke was coming from a third story apartment when they arrived.
During a search of the building after the fire was out, firefighters found a miniature marijuana farm in an upstairs bedroom, complete with bright, hot lights and a tangle of extension cords. Most of the evidence burned in the fire.
However, police were able to find an photograph fragments of plants and jars full of marijuana, along with some growing equipment. The suspected indoor farmer was later found at a nearby hospital.
Several apartment were damaged by the fire, causing some residents to be displaced. There were no injuries, but it's the third time a building in this complex has burned in just more than a week.
As she held her cell phone while taking video of the fire, complex resident Romanique Jackson couldn't believe her eyes.
"It's crazy because that could have been our building," she said. "We live right across the street."
Friday morning's fire marked the third time in 8 days that firefighters were called to this apartment complex. A fire that broke out Wednesday at another apartment was caused by an unattended candle, while a fire that broke out Nov. 6 was intentionally set, officials say.
Authorities say the three fires are not related.