88
      Thursday
      93 / 74
      Friday
      88 / 70
      Saturday
      85 / 65

      Parvovirus prompts Md. shelter to stop taking dogs

      HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) - The Humane Society of Washington County says it is not accepting dogs until further notice after five puppies taken to the shelter tested positive for the potentially fatal parvovirus.

      The five dogs were euthanized, along with four others at the shelter that contracted the virus. The shelter says it is asking anyone who finds a dog to hold onto it and contact the shelter. Parvovirus is extremely contagious among dogs and potentially fatal, but is not spread from dogs to humans. However, humans can spread it from dog to dog on their hands, clothing and other objects.

      Shelter spokeswoman Katherine Cooker tells The Herald-Mail of Hagerstown that bleach is being used to clean the shelter.

      The society says the economy may be keeping owners from having pets vaccinated