Prince George's Hospital Center running on power generator after fire

CHEVERLY, Md. (WJLA) - The Prince George's Hospital Center continues Friday to run on generator power after a fire tore through a boiler room Thursday evening.

Prince George's County Fire officials say the fire broke out just before 8 p.m. in a boiler room at the Cheverly medical complex. The blaze damaged several transformer units, knocking out power to much of the hospital.

Generator power almost simultaneously kicked in, meaning that inpatient care for 214 patients was not affected. However, the hospital continues to turn away emergency patients who are coming in via ambulance and helicopter.

Pepco officials say that they've done all the work they can on their end to restore normal power operation to the hospital center. It's now up to the hospital to make their requisite repairs to fully restore power.

Prince George's Hospital Center spokeswoman Erika Murray says that Pepco will likely restore power to the complex by 10 a.m. After that, workers will restore power to the hospital's chillers, which will allow the complex to restore normal operating status.

That's expected to happen by early Friday afternoon, Murray said.

Walk-in patients are still being accepted. Hospital officials say that they're rescheduling all elective surgeries scheduled for Friday.

James Badon's girlfriend and new baby were at the hospital when the power went out and fire broke out.

“Only thing working right now is the service elevator,” he says. “We could actually see the smoke from the window in the hallway and then all of a sudden the lights went out and they weren't letting anyone walk or move around in the hospital.”