One injured in Dumfries home explosion
A man working on his home suddenly found himself buried in rubble after the house exploded.
The force of the blast on Wayne Drive in Dumfries shook homes around the area, which borders the Quantico Marine Corps base.
Gloria Skinner had moved all her belongings to the home on Saturday. Her family was set to start their life in their new home Monday. When Skinner tried to pull onto the street, a police officer told her it the house was gone.
Skinner said she replied “’We're moving there today!’ He said, no, the house blew up and I said, ‘Are you serious?’”
Skinner had moved her belongings into the home on Wayne Drive in Dumfries on Saturday. She and her family planned to move in on Monday.
The owner of the home had been inside around 8:30 Monday completing last-minute finishing touches before the Skinners moved in when the house blew apart. Despite the flames shooting from the debris, neighbors rushed in to rescue the injured owner.
“I didn't think anybody else would come out alive,” said Theodosia Maldonado, a neighbor.
“It rattled my entire house and then we saw nothing but insulation of the house it looked like it was raining,” neighbor Dawn Abrassart described the scene.
Parts of the home spread out over lawns and rooftops. The owner was flown by helicopter to a local trauma center but is expected to recover.
Prince William County fire investigators are trying to piece together what made this house come apart. It appears natural gas had been leaking for awhile, and caused the blast.
The Skinners say they have likely lost all their belongings but are grateful that no one else got hurt. “I'm just thankful to God that, you know, nobody was really hurt,” Skinner said.