70 / 50
      69 / 52
      66 / 50

      Olney townhouses evacuated for gas leak

      Five townhouses in Olney were evacuated Tuesday after firefighters detected carbon monoxide in one home.

      Montgomery County Fire Spokesperson Captain Oscar Garcia says units were dispatched at 5:35 p.m.{}to the 3300 block of Tidewater Court because a carbon monoxide detector went off.

      Firefightersdetected some levels of carbon monoxide in a home and evacuated five adjoining townhomes. They are evaluating four patients for carbon monoxide exposure.{}

      Firefighters believe they have tracked down the source to a malfunctioning hot water heater in one of the homes. Firefighters have shut off the gas to that house and are awaiting Washington Gas to check CO levels again. Residents will likely be able to reoccupy the homes after that.