DC9 case "not over," family of deceased man says

The family of the man who died after an incident outside the DC9 nightclub says the case is "not over." The U.S. attorney's office announced Thursday that no one involved in the incident outside the will face criminal charges.

Authorities have closed the investigation into the 2010 death of Ali Ahmed Mohammed.

“It's not over and we are going to still fight for justice in this case,” said Andrew Laurence, speaking for the Mohammed family. The family may pursue a wrongful-death civil lawsuit against the employees of the DC9 nightclub.

The U.S. Attorney’s office announced Thursday afternoon that early witness accounts that Ali Ahmed Mohammed, 27, was beaten to death in October 2010 weren’t supported by evidence.

“The investigation revealed that those initial reports were inaccurate and unsupported by medical and physical evidence, or by other eyewitness accounts,” the U.S. Attorney’s office stated.

The owner of DC9 and four employees were initially accused of chasing and beating Mohammad after he threw a rock through the club’s window.

The case caused an uproar in D.C. in part because of how authorities initially handled the case. MPD Chief Cathy Lanier said in the immediate aftermath of the death that Mohammad was the victim of a savage beating.

One of the club’s owner, Bill Spieler, and four employees were initially charged with second-degree murder. The U.S. Attorney’s office later dropped the charges.

The medical examiner's office said that Mohammed died due to "excited delirium associated with arrhythmogenic cardiac anomalies, alcohol intoxication and physical exertion with restraint." His death was ruled a homicide, meaning that others were involved.

MPD stated on Thursday that made arrests in the case based on the information it had at the time. These accounts were “not discovered to be mistaken or inaccurate until a more comprehensive review,” a statement by MPD said.

The U.S. Attorney's office Thursday stated that it reviewed evidence and witnesses interviews as well as re-examined the scene and consulted with medical professionals, among other things, before reaching its conclusion.

"The evidence gathered in the investigation reveals that the incident began when Mr. Mohammed threw two bricks through the window of DC9," the U.S. Attorney's office stated. "An owner and employees from the club chased, seized, and restrained Mr. Mohammed until police arrived. The evidence did not support a finding that the owner and employees beat Mr. Mohammed to death."{ }

Officials from the U.S. Attorney’s office met with Mohammed’s family Thursday to inform them of the decision and express their condolences.

MPD also expressed condolences to Mohammed's family.

"It is always tragic when a young person’s life ends prematurely," police said in a statement. "The Metropolitan Police Department would again like to express our deepest sympathy to the family of Ali Ahmed Mohammed."

{ }