Truck driver killed in collision with Metrobus on Rockville Pike

Emergency units attempt to rescue trapped passengers in the MetroBus crash in Bethesda Wednesday afternoon.

A man was killed and several others injured when a pick-up truck collided with a MetroBus in Bethesda Wednesday afternoon.

At 4:16 p.m., emergency personnel responded to the area of Rockville Pike at Alta Vista Road for a crash involving a J9 MetroBus and a pick-up truck, according to a news release.

Preliminary investigations show that a Toyota Tacoma pick-up truck was traveling south on Rockville Pike when it collided with a northbound MetroBus, causing the bus to hit a tree on the side of the road.

Shalom Meshulam witnessed the accident.

"The driver of the truck jumped the median, hit the bus, and the bus shot across to the embankment," Meshulam said.

The man driving the pick-up truck was killed.

The MetroBus driver, a 13-year veteran, was taken with serious injuries to an area hospital, the news release said. Several passengers were injured and taken to area hospitals as well.

According to Meshulam, the MetroBus driver was trapped inside after the bus hit the tree.

"She was pinned and that's what took most of the time getting her out," Meshulam said.

One person was airlifted to Baltimore Shock Trauma, three people were taken to Holy Cross Hospital, one person was taken to Suburban and two people were taken with minor injuries to Sibley Hospital.

Three people refused treatment on the scene.

The ages or genders of the victims were not immediately known.

The accident happened a few dozen feet from Samir Ahmed's front yard.

He said he tried to rescue the driver of the pick-up truck.

"So I go around from the other side and one man tell me don't touch him, he's gone. He's gone," Ahmed said.

Neighbors say this has long been a dangerous stretch of road and they've been lobbying the state for years to do something about it.

"I live on the corner here and my fence has been gone through at least twice in the last four years, by cars going too fast and people making poor decisions," said resident Ben Teicher.

The MetroBus was headed to Lakeforest Mall.

The area was closed off for more than six hours.

Investigators are asking anyone with information to contact the Collision Reconstruction Unit at 301-840-2435.