88
      Tuesday
      93 / 73
      Wednesday
      92 / 74
      Thursday
      93 / 73

      Menorah starts fire at UMd. off-campus apartments

      Fire officials say a menorah lit in celebration of Hanukkah caused a fire that displaced nine University of Maryland students.

      Prince George's County fire crews were called to the off-campus apartments, located in the 4200 block of Knox Road, around 6:50 p.m. Monday.

      Smoke was seen coming from the brick building, which is known to students as a "Knox Box" because of its look and location. Firefighters quickly extinguished the kitchen fire; no injuries were reported.

      Officials say an unattended candle lit on a Hanukkah menorah started the fire. The residents of the apartment told crews on the scene they stepped away for a moment and returned to find their home on fire.

      Nine students from at least two apartments were displaced. They are being assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit.