MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Maryland man has 2nd and 3rd degree burns after batteries in vape (e-cig) explode

Easton, Md. man has second and third degree burns on his left leg after his batteries in his vape (e-cig) exploded while in his pocket. (ABC7)

WARNING: The images in the video may be difficult to view.

An Easton, Maryland man says he now has second and third degree burns on his leg after he claims the batteries in his vaporizer exploded in his pocket.

"I heard a popping noise and it sounded like firecrackers going off," said Brian Taylor. "There was a ball of fire and it started smoking and I ran off to the side and patted it all out."

Taylor says all he had in his pocket at the time were the batteries and a dollar bill.

"I don't think I was given the proper information on the possible hazards of these lithium ion batteries exploding in your pocket," he said.

ABC7 reached out to the manufacturer of the batteries but so far we have not heard back. However, on their website it states under one of the warnings that you shouldn't place loose batteries in a pocket or purse containing metal objects.

Taylor says he bought the batteries loose without any packaging or instructions on safe handling from a store in Easton. Staff members at ABC affiliate WMDT say they reached out to the store but the store did not comment.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration fires and explosion caused by e-cigarettes are rare. It says there were 25 incidents reported in the U.S. media between 2009 and 2014 but admits it's likely there are others that weren't reported.

USFA says 80 percent occurred while the battery in the device was being charged but none reported involved the larger personal vaporizers.

Trending