73
      Friday
      88 / 70
      Saturday
      81 / 67
      Sunday
      84 / 70

      Maryland hospital patient dies in fire after smoking in bed

      BALTIMORE (AP) - A patient at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore has died after starting a fire while smoking in bed.

      City fire officials say the male patient lit himself on fire.

      Hospital spokeswoman Sharon Boston says in a statement that the fire broke out around 10:30 p.m. Friday, and she confirms that one patient died. She says firefighters put out the flames quickly, and the incident is being investigated.