Lululemon murder trial: Employee at neighboring store heard Murray's call for help

Norwood's attorneys claim the death of Murray wasn't premeditated, rather it occured during a fight. (Photo: Court sketch)

A police crime-scene investigator took the stand Thursday afternoon{ }in the trial of a woman charged with killing a co-worker at a yoga clothing shop in Bethesda.

The investigator explained the collected evidence, pointing to the large amount of blood found across the store. Investigators found blood anywhere from near the cash registers to the kitchen and bathrooms to the stock room and hallways.

Earlier in the day, jurors had seen a recorded police interview with the accused Brittany Norwood. At the start of her first statement to a police detective, Norwood asks, "can you tell me how my friend is doing?"

Prosecutors allege Norwood knew at this time that Jayna Murray was dead. Her lawyer admitted Norwood killed Murray on March 11 in the Bethesda Lululemon store. But when Norwood was questioned that morning, Detective Deana Mackie told the jury she viewed Norwood as a victim.

During the recorded interview played for the jury Thursday, Norwood claimed two men hit Murray. The jury has already seen several photos of Norwood from that morning.

Norwood claimed she and Murray had been beaten and sexually assaulted by two intruders.

She told detectives, “they drug Jayna by her hair. He was repeatedly hitting her and she was screaming and I couldn't do anything."

"I was really praying that someone would see us and help,” Norwood said, according to police. "I just remember there being so much blood."

An employee at the neighboring Apple store heard a woman call out “oh God, please help me." The employee pounded on the wall, but didn’t call 911.

Attorneys for Norwood say Murray was dead within 15 minutes of the beginning of the fight.

A spokesperson for the Maryland attorney general's office said it does not appear anyone at Apple did anything that would rise to the level of criminal liability. Apple did not respond to requests for comment.

During Thursday’s testimony, a police officer displayed Norwood’s clothing, including blood-soaked socks. An emergency room nurse described Norwood's bloody face but said the wounds were superficial. She said she was surprised how blood had flowed down Norwood's nose since Norwood claimed she lay on her back for 10 hours. "A lot of things were odd,” the nurse said.

Earlier this week, Norwood's lawyer admitted that the defendant killed Murray at the Lululemon store in Bethesda in March, but claimed it was during a fight as opposed to premeditated first-degree murder.

Prosecutors say Murray suffered at least 322 wounds from a host of weapons.

{ }

Norwood’s lawyer, Douglas Wood, said during opening arguments Wednesday that Norwood lost control and grabbed whatever weapons were within her reach.

"Jayna was killed by Brittany. It occurred in a fight. Brittany Norwood lost it. She lost control,” Norwood's attorney Wood said. “There was a horrific argument a horrific fight. It was not first-degree murder.”

State's Attorney John McCarthy argued that the slaying was premeditated murder. He said the slaying took a long time and there was ample opportunity for Norwood to choose a different course of action.

McCarthy presented details of how he claims Murray was murdered, showing jurors bloody photos of Murray and Norwood as they were found in the store he said Murray suffered from 322 different injuries. He held up several of the alleged murder weapons, including a wrench, a box cutter and rope.

During a lunch break, Murray's parents and supporters declined comment.

Earlier, a jury of six men and six women was selected. Montgomery County Circuit Judge Robert Greenberg restricted prosecutors' use of certain pictures during opening statements, including one showing Murray's crushed skull.