Lower Marlboro Lane house fire, Calvert County

Photo: Hatzel Vela

OWINGS, Md. (WJLA) - One person is dead after an early morning house fire in Calvert County. As of Thursday, he has been identified as 63-year-old Abdiel Ridgely Albaugh.

Firefighters arrived at the Lower Marlboro Lane home in{ }Owings, M.D. just after 4 a.m. Wednesday morning to find it fully engulfed.

Fire investigators say Albaugh was found inside the remains, and that firefighters had to bring water from a nearby river to get the fire under control.

Now, you can barely make out any remains of what used to be a two-story house. And neighbors are heartbroken, because the man who lived inside wasn't able to make it out.

Mike Robinson woke up early Wednesday morning to some popping noises coming from his bedroom window. He got up to see his neighbor’s home on fire.

"Put my clothes on and ran up here and I banged on the door," he said.

No one came to the door though, so he rushed home, where his wife Vivian called 911. Mr. Robinson then rushed back to the burning home, and heard shouting:

"It was too late -- you know, I heard him holler twice: 'help, help' -- but it was nothing that I could do because the house was already in flames."

Neighbors do say that Albaugh kept to himself, enjoying outdoor activities like fishing and diving.

"Heartbreaking, heart wrenching. I just can't get over the initial shock of it all," said neighbor Vivian Robinson.

Kerry Irving, another neighbor who called 911, says it all happened so fast:

"My wife looked out the side window and saw the flames from the back porch just blazing up."

The winds were so strong that they reportedly helped the flames spread quickly – in 15 minutes time, the house was fully engulfed.

Currently, investigators believe this was an accidental fire, but they are working to confirm this.

Meanwhile, the home is a total loss, and three vehicles were also damaged. Investigators do not yet know what ignited the fire.