Kamari Taylor dies: Peter Hendy charged with first-degree murder

Kamari Taylor was found unconscious inside a home in Northeast on Monday. He later died.

WASHINGTON (WJLA) - The 33-year-old man suspected of killing his girlfriend's 4-year-old son punched him several times in the abdomen with enough force to lacerate his liver, police say.

MPD officials have charged Peter Hendy with first-degree murder in connection with the death of Kamari Zavon Taylor, who was found unconscious and later died on Monday afternoon.

Kamari’s grandmother Azalea Taylor waited at a DC Superior Court on Wednesday. It was the first time she or Kamari’s father even laid eyes on 33-year-old Hendy.

"Kamari's a sweet little boy," said Taylor. "He's a lovable, sweet little boy." And regarding Hendy: "This is the person who murdered by grandbaby."

Authorities not only allege that Kamari died as a result of injuries at the hands of Hendy, but that the suspect ignored obvious signs of the boy's injuries; instead, he left the boy alone to go sell marijuana.

According to a police report released Wednesday, Hendy, who lived with Kamari and his mother near 56th Street and Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue in Northeast, told police after calling 911 that he had "hit" the boy.

Police believe that after Kamari's mother went to work on Monday morning, Hendy called her several times to tell her that he was forced to discipline her son.

According to police, Hendy was upset that Kamari rode his scooter too far from home, after which the boy allegedly told the suspect, "I don't have to listen to're not my daddy." In response, police say Hendy punched the boy twice in the abdomen, then let him ride off again.

About 45 minutes later, police say Kamari returned home profusely sweating and shaking. He also had severe bruising on his midsection.

Hendy then put the boy to bed, gave him some water, then went outside to sell marijuana, police say. He came back an hour later to find Kamari with a "blank look" on his face, but went back outside to sell more pot in lieu of helping the boy.

When Hendy finally returned to check on the boy again, he was already unconscious, police say.

Shocked neighbor Christy Gardner says Kamari never talked back.

"He was well-mannered," she said. "Just the sweetest little boy."

"That's a poor excuse for a human being," cried Kamari's grandmother. "And that's a poor excuse for a man. He's a coward."

The medical examiner determined Hendy’s story could not be accurate due to an autopsy that showed that the child was hit so hard his liver was torn into three pieces.