Julian Dawkins shooting: CME rules it a homicide; charges pending on Craig Patterson

Julian Dawkins was killed Wednesday.

Based on autopsy results, the death of Julian Dawkins has been ruled a homicide on Thursday evening.

After the homicide ruling, the victim’s father, Curtis Dawkins, says it doesn’t mean anything unless charges are filed. He believes his son was murdered.

"If you're going to claim something to be a homicide, there need to be some results that go along with that ruling,"{ }Curtis Dawkins tells ABC7. "So I'm not impressed by them saying it's a homicide."

Dawkins was shot early Wednesday morning, May 22, in the 100 block of Lynhaven Drive in Alexandria. Authorities say a 17-year veteran of the Arlington County Sheriff’s office, Craig Patterson, shot and killed Dawkins.

Friends on Thursday gathered at the spot where 22-year-old Julian Dawkins was shot. Meanwhile his family waited a short distance away for word of charges.

The victim's family wondered why, a full day after the shooting, Patterson did not face charges.

On the night of the shooting, the Dawkins family gathered at the house to plan a party for cousin Tierra Ruffin-Pratt, who had just signed to play with the Mystics of the WNBA.

His uncle says sometime after 9 p.m., Dawkins left and just down the street got into an argument with Patterson, who lives nearby. He is adamant that several hours passed between the first altercation and the shooting.

The Dawkins say that since Patterson is a law enforcement officer whom they believe must have undergone training in conflict resolution, the shooting is all the more troubling.

The Commonwealth’s Attorney, however, says the fact that Patterson is a law enforcement officer doesn’t influence whether he is charged or not charged in the shooting.

The Commonwealth’s Attorney says a decision on whether Patterson is charged or not will be made within 24 to 48 hours.

Alexandria Mayor William D. Euille issued the following statement Thursday evening:

The death of Julian Dawkins, who was shot and killed on May 21, has raised concerns throughout our community. I am confident that appropriate justice will prevail once all facts are known. Our Police Department is investigating this case and they are working with the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney using the standard procedure used for such cases in Alexandria. In the meantime, I urge the community to be patient, and allow the justice system to do its work.