Jessie Chavez murder: Three arrested for Clarion Hotel shooting

Chavez, 27, was killed last Monday during an armed robbery at an Oxon Hill hotel. Photo: Chavez family

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY, Md. (WJLA) - Three people have been arrested in connection with the murder of a 27-year-old murder of a worker at a Prince George's County hotel, officials say.

The suspects, purported to be the gunman, a driver and a lookout, have all been taken into custody in both the District of Columbia and Prince George's County.

Jessie Chavez, a 27-year-old food service and bar manager at the Clarion Hotel in Oxon Hill, was shot and killed last week during an armed robbery.

The shooting suspect has been identified as 20-year-old Deandre Weems. The alleged getaway driver is identified as 23-year-old Kimfrey Williams while police say 18-year-old Rinaldo Savon Washington acted as the lookout.

The robbery happened at about 10 p.m. on Oct. 21 at the hotel in the 6400 block of Oxon Hill Road, just outside the Capital Beltway. Surveillance video shows an unidentified man leaping over the front desk and robbing a clerk at gunpoint.

Authorities then say that as the suspect tried to leave the hotel, he was confronted by Chavez. During their confrontation, Chavez was shot and killed.

In a surveillance video, the suspect can be seen jumping the clarion hotel's front desk and demanding money. With just a couple hundred dollars, he makes his getaway.

What the camera doesn't show is Chavez trying to stop the gunman and getting shot for trying to do right.

Police say a tipster saw the video and turned them in. All three suspects live in the district and have violent criminal histories.

Police believe they may be responsible for a string of armed robberies in Maryland and D.C. All are behind bars and charged with murder.

“With media assistance with community assistance it’s something that won’t be tolerated and you will be caught for something like this,” says Prince George’s Police Capt. George Nichols.

According to court documents the tipster told police Weems and his accomplices talked openly of the killing and said of Chavez, “the guy should not have tried to play the hero."

Chavez's mother, Vivian, says that his son was trying to protect the hotel's clerk, who is pregnant, from harm.

The day before he died, Chavez took his mother to a Redskins game in a jersey he'd made just for her. He was happy to hold her hand in public. On the night he died, she found the strength to say a prayer at the murder scene.

“When I got sick he took me to the doctor. When I was hospital he picked me up,” she says. “When he saw someone in distress he didn't think twice to help.”

Family and friends have remembered Chavez as a kind man who worked hard.

"He loved this he could not stand by and see something happen like that," former co-worker Mattie Leonard said last week.