A judge declared a mistrial Monday in the murder trial for the 29-year-old man accused of killing a mother and daughter in 2009 in Largo.
The mistrial was declared in the trial of Jason Scott, who is on trial for allegedly killing Delores Dewitt and her daughter Ebony Dewitt. Their bodies were found inside a burning car in Largo in March 2009.
"It's been a tragedy. I never dreamt that this would happen," said Delores' mother, Rosa Smith.
According to the state's attorney, a detective on the witness stand Monday made reference to home invasions allegedly committed by Scott. Judge Michael Whalen, however, had already ruled that the jury would only hear about one such crime.
"While we are disappointed in this outcome, we feel that the correct ruling was made and we respect Judge Whalen's decision," Prince George's County State's Attorney Angela Alsobrooks said. "This is no way jeopardizes our case against Mr. Scott and we look forward to retrying the case later this year."
Smith refuses to see the misstep as anything more than a delay en route to justice.
"My main thing is that justice be done,' Smith said. "Not according to my will but the will of God."
Alsobrooks, while disappointed, pointed out that Scott isn't going anywhere. He's serving a 100-year federal prison term on charges unrelated to this case, including armed carjacking, producing child pornography and stealing firearms.
"Jason Scott was involved in a lot. He's a menace, so he will be incarcerated until this trial comes back in Oct. So, he's no risk at all to the public," Alsobrooks explained.
"I pray that this will be behind us before the holidays come," Smith added.
Jury selection is scheduled to begin Oct. 15 with a new trial beginning on Oct. 21.