Greenbelt apartment fire caused by unattended cooking

Prince George's County fire officials say unattended cooking caused the fire. (Photo: Prince George's County Fire Dept.)

Two children and their 15-year-old babysitter are being hospitalized after a kitchen fire at an apartment complex in Greenbelt, officials say.

Prince George’s County fire officials say unattended cooking ignited nearby combustibles, sparking the fire that broke out in a top-floor unit in the 7800 block of Hanover Parkway Thursday morning. The 15-year-old babysitter and his two younger female siblings got out safely.

Responding firefighters evacuated the building, and quickly extinguished the fire that was limited to the kitchen area, officials say.

The two kids and their sitter are being treated for smoke inhalation, but are in good condition, officials say. No other injuries were reported.

The estimated loss stands at $40,000, fire officials say.{ }The apartment of origin has been deemed unfit, and the apartment complex management will assist the displaced family.