Germantown man charged with breaking into 11 vehicles; police seek ID of second suspect
GERMANTOWN, Md. (ABC7) —
A man has been charged with breaking into 11 vehicles in the Germantown area in December and January.
Shaheem D. Kearse, 22, of Germantown, has been charged in connection with the break-ins.
Police also released a surveillance photo of an unidentified man believed to have been with Kearse during one of the thefts.
Montgomery County Police officers responded to a report of two people breaking into vehicles in the area of Stags Leap Court in Germantown at about 2:47 a.m. on Jan. 13. Officers found two men matching the descriptions of the suspects in the area of Mateny Road.
One of those suspects was identified as Kearse, but the second man fled on foot and was not identified.
Kearse had property in his possession that police believed did not belong to him. Unable to find the owners of the property, Kearse was released without charges.
In the continuing investigation, detectives discovered that Kearse and the second suspect had been at a gas station just before the thefts on Mateny Road, according to a statement from Montgomery County Police.
Detectives later found that the property that had been in Kearse’s possession had been stolen from a vehicle on Dovedale Road.
On Feb. 1, police executed a search warrant at Kearse’s home. During the search, police found a firearm and he was arrested for illegally possessing a firearm.
Kearse is being held without bond on the firearm charge.
On Feb. 7, Kearse was charged with the following thefts from vehicles in the Germantown area:
- December 20, 2017 – 18800 block of Bent Willow Circle
- December 24, 2017 – 12800 block of Climbing Ivy Drive
- December 24, 2017 – 12100 block of Island View Circle.
- December 26, 2017 – two thefts from vehicles in the 12500 block of Coral Grove Place
- December 26, 2017 – 12600 block of Grey Eagle Court
- December 26, 2017 – 18800 block of Bent Willow Circle
- January 13, 2018 – 13100 block of Millhaven Place
- January 13, 2018 – 13300 block of Dovedale Way
- January 21, 2018 – 12200 block of Eagles Nest Court
- January 22, 2018 – 12600 block of Grey Eagle Court
Anyone with information regarding the second suspect is asked to call the 5th District Patrol Investigations Unit at 240-773-6263. Those who wish to remain anonymous may call Crime Solvers of Montgomery County toll-free at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477). Crime Solvers will pay a cash reward of up to $10,000 for information provided that leads to an arrest in this case.