A malfunctioning furnace caught fire at a Lanham elementary school Monday morning, causing students and staff to be evacuated and temporarily relocated to another campus.
All students and staff at a Lanham elementary school have been accounted for after the fire, which broke out at Gaywood Elementary School at about 9:15 a.m. The campus, which is located on 97th Avenue in Lanham, forced the school to be evacuated. No one was injured.
Firefighters were forced to remove portions of the roof over a boiler room while battling the flames, where a natural gas boiler had overheated and set insulation in the ceiling alight.
School officials say that the school will be remain closed for the rest of the day. Gaywood students will be bussed to nearby DuVal High School, where classes will resume. Buses will take children home from DuVal at the end of the day, and children who walk home will be bussed back to Gaywood.
The fire caused about $5,000 in damage, officials say. No decision has been made about opening campus on Tuesday.